Welcome to the Susquehanna University Crew Team Blog



What started out as a workout log has quickly turned into a blog dedicated to preserving the history and accomplishments of the Susquehanna University Crew Team. It also exists to provide information and resources for team members to become fitter and smarter athletes, and to gain the motivation and determination necessary to becoming better competitors and teammates.

Welcome and feel free to comment on all things rowing!

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

What's Been Going on at the River

CPRA (the Central Pennsylvania Rowing Association) is in full swing now, after starting the season strong with a week long intensive coaching program last week. For those of you unfamiliar with CPRA, it is a local rowing club that is geared toward adults in the community. We have three coached rows a week and also have the opportunity to train for races. Some members rowed in college, learned at a camp, or took a course. Each year, CPRA hosts two Learn-to-Row weeks for adults and also two Junior camps for high school students in addition to regular rowing.

Many Susquehanna University students have been involved with CPRA -- just to name a few: Chris Meharg '03, Kathy Wulderk '04, me '05, and Ang Weaver '09. This summer Jill (Sands) Martin '05 is serving as the Head Coxswain and we are also joined by current student Katie Messler '11.

My own CPRA experience began in the winter of 2003 coaching CPRA members on the ergs 2-3 times a week at SU. That is how I believe I met Coach Jim. Every Saturday morning, I would coach an erg workout -- which is also where I met my Chiropractor, Dr. Ed Kryzkwa who showed up every week without fail. After coaching, I could get my own workout in.

In the Summer of 2004, I coxed and rowed with CPRA. Most frequently, I coxed the "Edna M. Sheary." A bow coxed Vespoli DL, it was a heavy weight men's boat, and I coxed Jim Baker, Mike Domzalski, Jim Grose, and Marc. That was the summer that Steve Loaiza blew into town. I use that phrase because no one in CPRA was quite sure how to take him. He was full of gusto and I think he enjoyed ruffling people's feathers. I think that I coxed Steve in that boat too.

That fall (2004), Steve began coaching the Bucknell Men's Crew and Jim began Assistant Coaching at SU. The one memorable time that we all converged was at Head of the Charles. That is certainly a story I will have to share in a future post. I don't hesitate in saying that it was the best weekend ever!

Upon graduating in 2005, I moved to southwestern Ohio to attend gratuate school. My closest involvement to rowing there was supervising a Resident Assistant, Randy Fiedler who served as coxswain on the Miami University crew team. When I moved back to the area to begin work at Bucknell, I was certain that I would be involved in CPRA once more.

After settling in at Bucknell, I began to row again. In 2009, I joined the Board of Directors and became their Social Chair. Last summer I got to train a lot in a sweet Empacher Double with Bucknell grad student Renee Perry and also cox a quad for the Learn-to-Row sessions. I am also the hostess for our infamous "Thursday Night Socials." Every Thursday after rowing, we grill hamburgers and hotdogs (with the occasional veggie burger) and join each other for snacks and fun.

For the first two weeks of the season, I am coaching. I thought that I would be itching to get back into a boat, but I am really enjoying myself. My experience coaching in the past year has really challenged and stretched me. I think that rowing now saddens me a bit because I know that I will never probably train at the same level I did in college. It still gives me immense joy and satisfaction, but at least with coaching I am holding others accountable to reach that level I miss.

In the news lately, CPRA was in the Daily Item, with comments by Coach Steve. Also, Bucknell Assistant Women's/CPRA Youth Coach Dan Wolleben was voted as Mid-Atlantic Assistant Coach of the Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment