Welcome to the Susquehanna University Crew Team Blog



What started out as a workout log has quickly turned into a blog dedicated to preserving the history and accomplishments of the Susquehanna University Crew Team. It also exists to provide information and resources for team members to become fitter and smarter athletes, and to gain the motivation and determination necessary to becoming better competitors and teammates.

Welcome and feel free to comment on all things rowing!

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Coach Twins and Other Clothing Info

A funny thing happened on the way to the Mid-Atlantic Collegiate Crew Championships -- without planning it, myself (Coach Rachael) and Coach Jim dressed in nearly identical outfits.

Under normal circumstances, Coach Jim, Coach Steve, and I have the same Carhartt rain jacket. We've never gotten a photo though and this was all I could find.

I tend to bundle up before going on the water, so I routinely wear my "snowsuit" which consists of my Carhartt jacket, Under Amour Frosty Tights, rain pants, boots, and a hat. Luckily the weather smiled upon us at MACCCs and I could finally shed my layers.

When we go to races, I like to wear things that show my Susquehanna spirit - such as my SU Crew hat and then a maroon or orange top. That particular day, Jim and I must have been thinking on the same wavelength because we each had orange shirts, dark khaki shorts, sneakers, sunglasses, and our SU Crew hats on. Since it was so hot that day, I changed part way through after dripping with sweat. I did get a little guff suggesting that I merely changed to avoid being Coach Jim's twin.

Later in the season at our crew banquet, team members helped the coaching staff look even more cohesive by presenting Coach Steve and I with fake mustaches. I am just about dying with laughter in this photo.

Many of you have expressed interest in being able to purchase SU Crew apparrel. This fall, I would like to make sure that happens.



Here is what I would like to make available:
  • Black and maroon traditional Susquehanna Crew jackets
  • Orange and maroon rugby shirts
  • SU Crew hats
  • A nice polo with an embroidered logo or nice t-shirt for coaches and parents
Is there anything that you would like to see made available? Leave your suggestions on the comments section.

While we are on clothing, let me share a few of my favorite things good for coaching or rowing:
Having a full time job has certainly enabled me to buy a lot of things that I didn't have while in college. Actually, a lot of the clothing that I might wear now didn't even exist when I was in college. So, I mostly rowed in t-shirts and regular gym shorts. That definitely worked, but the nice thing I have found about the new wicking fabrics is that you can just rinse them out in the sink and let them air dry if you can't do laundry all that often. Cotton can also get really cold on the water if you get wet, but a good racing shirt or pair of spandex tights pulls the water or sweat away from your body.

Remember, "it is all about layers." Think it is too hot for pants but too cool for shorts? Try a pair of soccer socks and push them down if you get hot. They can also help with track bites. A cheap way to protect your legs from track bites is to cut the feet out of nice, thick socks -- pull the band up to your calf and bingo, no more track wounds. I still have scars from rowing the Empacher last summer until I got smart and used something a little thicker than just a band-aid. Vests are a great way to regulate body heat, and a lot easier to get out of than a pull-over jacket.

Looking to pick up a few must have for rowing pieces? Try a local outlet shopping center. They often have brand outlets like Adidas, Nike, Under Armour, and more. If you have a Triple A membership, you can often get a discount coupon book and if you shop on a national holiday weekend like Memorial Day or 4th of July, there are often extra deals to be had.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Coach Rachael!
    When are we buying this stuff?!?!
    -Mighty Mouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi the shoppingspout.com is online shopping stor and buying every thing with discounted price

    Carhartt online coupons

    ReplyDelete