Welcome to the Susquehanna University Crew Team Blog



What started out as a workout log has quickly turned into a blog dedicated to preserving the history and accomplishments of the Susquehanna University Crew Team. It also exists to provide information and resources for team members to become fitter and smarter athletes, and to gain the motivation and determination necessary to becoming better competitors and teammates.

Welcome and feel free to comment on all things rowing!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Secrets

I was not at practice today because I had tickets to a lecture at Bucknell for Frank Warren, the creator of the community art project known as Post Secret. In case you are unfamiliar, Post Secret is a project that asks people to write a secret on a post card and anonymously send it to Frank at his home in Maryland. Frank reads each post card (he gets 100-200 a day from all over the country and world) and then posts them on his blog, publishes them in books, or puts them on display at two traveling art exhibits. He also has a Facebook fan page and a Twitter account.

I have been an avid reader of Post Secret since graduate school, which is about five years now. Every Sunday, Frank loads new postcards onto the blog and I am reminded that everyone has secret fears, desires, wishes, dreams, regrets, and confessions. Whenever I feel lonely or alone, the postcards help remind me that I am not.

Why am I bringing this up on a blog that is about the Susquehanna University crew team? At the end of the lecture, audience members were invited to share their own secrets. They were profoundly moving and deeply emotional. I am reminded (much like I am often reminded in my job with students) that so many people are carrying around burdens, insecurities, hidden struggles (be it emotional, academic, or something else entirely).
  • "Every single person has at least one secret that would break your heart. If we could just remember this, I think there would be a lot more compassion and tolerance in the world." - Frank Warren

I just want to remind you that you are not alone. Remember that our team is here for each other. That includes coaches too. Coach Jim and I are always willing to lend an ear if you are experiencing difficulty, need someone to talk to, or want advice. In addition to us, there are a ton of great resources that a school like Susquehanna has to offer. Don't forget that most academic departments offer tutoring hours and definitely take up your professors on study sessions or office hours. Don't forget about the Career Center or Academic Support and Success:
Susquehanna also has a great Counseling Center where appointments can be made Monday through Fridays by calling 570-372-4751. Appointments are free, confidential, and just because you go once does not mean that you the obligation to go again. It is something that I took advantage of as a Susquehanna student and felt stronger and more balanced because of it. Honestly, I can't think of one resource that I just named that I didn't take advantage of.

So, as we are hunkering down preparing for our 2k races and racing season, don't forget to concentrate on your academics, personal well being, and health too!

No comments:

Post a Comment